MUSICA FEUROPA 6
The only European Union-Sponsored Choral Competition in the Philippines
May 23-24, 2014
Far Eastern University Auditorium
Who are qualified to join?
1. High School Choir Category: High school choirs from within and outside Metro Manila
2. Open Choir Category: Choirs (university/college, community-based, church-based, etc.) from within and outside Metro Manila
How many members are allowed?
Minimum of 16 members. Maximum of 30.
What are the other requirements?
FOR THE HIGH SCHOOL CHOIR CATEGORY:
1. Each member must be a bonafide student of the school and currently enrolled.
2. Members who graduated during the same year of the competition will be allowed to join the group provided that they will be properly declared in the application form and recognized by the school administration.
3. An endorsement letter from the head of the school is a MUST.
4. The group MUST be the official choir of the school.
5. Age limit for High School participants is 17 years old.
* Though age limit for the HS Category has been set on item number 5, screening of qualified members will still be based primarily on item numbers 1 and 2.
FOR THE OPEN/ MIXED CHOIR CATEGORY:
The group must already be established for at least two (2) years prior to the date of the competition
Choirs can be the official choral group of the college/university being represented or an institute choir from the college/university
An endorsement letter from the community head, parish priest, university president, college or institute dean, etc. is a MUST
Age minimum for the Open Choir category is 17.
GENERAL RULE FOR BOTH CATEGORIES:
1. A member can only join one participating group.
2. The conductor may be professional and may represent up to TWO (2) choirs provided that they are in a different category.
3. The following works not in the public domain must have a written approval from the composer and or arranger.
4. Participants agree that photographs and videos of the event can be published or shown publicly.
5. All submitted documents, audio recordings and music sheets will not be returned.
1. All interested groups must submit an AUDIO RECORDING (CD Quality)/VIDEO RECORDING (MPEG/MWV/MP4/AVI format only) of their performance to email@example.com
1.1. The recording must not be older than 2 years from the time it was performed.
1.2. The recorded songs need not be the same songs for the eliminations should the group qualify.
Things to be submitted
2. Download a soft copy of the application form: accomplish and submit via same email (firstname.lastname@example.org) on or before April 26, 2014.
2.1. Profile picture of the group and the conductor (high resolution, soft copy and to be sent via same email).
2.2. Profile/Write-up of the group and the conductor (updated, soft copy and to be sent via same email).
2.3. Picture and brief bio of the composers of the chosen repertoire
2.4. One to two sentences program notes of the repertoire to be performed
2.5. Five (5) clear hard copies [each] of the music to be performed: to be brought on the day of the competition
Elimination process is done thru screening of the audio materials sent by the participating choirs.
All high school choirs who will pass the elimination will move to the grand finals and will perform on May 24, 2014
All open/mixed choirs who will pass the elimination will move to the semi-finals and will perform on May 23, 2014
LANGUAGE/TEXT REQUIREMENT FOR THE TWO CHOSEN PIECES:
All qualified choral groups will perform two pieces:
· ONE written by a composer whose nationality is rooted in any European Union country. The text of the composition must be written in any of the official languages of EU (works written in Latin, Russian and Filipino languages are NOT allowed) and,
· ONE by a Filipino composer in any genre (popular, sacred, folk, contemporary). The text of the composition must ONLY be written in Filipino or any Philippine dialect.
· One of the pieces may be sung with accompaniment. Songs that will be performed with percussion instruments are allowed provided that the use of the said instrument/s is required in the score.
- It is the sole responsibility of the participant to acquire authorization from the composer/arranger/publisher the right-to-perform the music submitted to the organizing committee.
- Any copyright issue raised before, during and after the competition must be resolved by the participant/s involved
GRAND FINALS - MAY 24, 2014
The same set of songs from the semi-finals will be performed in the Grand Finals.
Order of Performance and Time Limit (Semifinals and Grand Finals)
1. The order of performances will be determined by the drawing of lots on the competition day itself.
2. Each choir will be given ten (10) minutes to perform the two required pieces.
3. Timer starts when the first note of the song is sung.
Any choral group exceeding the maximum time limit allotted for their performance will be penalized as follows:
· More than thirty (30) seconds over time allotted – 1 point subtracted from cumulative score
· One (1) to two (2) minutes over time allotted – 2 points subtracted from total cumulative score
· More than two (2) minutes over time allotted – 3 points subtracted from total cumulative score
BOARD OF JUDGES
1. The Board of Judges will be comprised of renowned choir conductors and artistic directors whose musical background is solid.
CRITERIA FOR JUDGING
Technique (Intonation, Diction, Choral Blend and Balance) – 40%
Artistry and Musicality (Interpretation, Expression and Style) – 30%
Difficulty of Piece – 20%
Overall Performance – 10%
1. The judges' decision is final.
2. In case of petitions/protests, only the official representative and/or conductor may approach the competition chairman. All queries must be brought to the chairman's attention on the same day of the competition.
3. Only individual scores and ranks will be shown to the participants if requested.
All participating choirs will receive a Certificate of Participation
Mixed Choir Category Winners:
1st Place – 1000 Euros + Trophy
2nd Place – P40, 000 + Trophy
3rd Place – P20, 000 + Trophy
High School Choir Category Winners:
1st Place – P25, 000 + Trophy
2nd Place – P15, 000 + Trophy
3rd Place – P10, 000 + Trophy
· Repertoire and members' list revision is allowed until MAY 9, 2014.
. The competition will be channeled through the Philippine Choral Directors Association (PCDA).
· The Far Eastern University Auditorium will be the venue of all the activities of the said competition.
. All participants are required to study the Festival Hymn ‘Sing with All the Sons of Glory’